Gram's Goulash Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
12 good sized bowls
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 3 medium yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 10 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 white potatoes, average size
- 1 tablespoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut beef into small cubes. Peel and slice onions into thin rounds. Heat a large pan over high heat and add 1 Tbs. oil, swirl to coat. When oil is good and hot, add onions and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove onions to a soup pot.
- Add another tablespoon of oil. When hot, add 1/3 of the beef. It is important not to crowd the pieces, so the browning is best done in 2-3 batches. Brown beef for about 5 minutes (brown on both sides), add to soup pot, then add more beef and continue to brown. Add a little more oil if necessary to keep things from sticking. When the final batch is mostly brown, add the paprika and the cayenne pepper, fry an extra minute, remove to soup pot. Add water. Make sure to pour 1/2 cup into used frying pan and scrape up the browned bits and pour into the soup pot. Add the bay leaves and bring soup to a simmer, simmer for 1 hour.
- Peel and cut potatoes, add to soup along with salt, which this soup frankly needs alot of. Start with 1 Tablespoon and adjust as needed. Raise the heat to medium (soup should not quite boil) and cook for another 45 minutes. Serve with a simple salad and fresh crusty white bread, so you can dunk it into the soup. Let each person add their own pepper to taste when it is served.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe had a really great flavor!Next time I make this though I think I will add some carrots and maybe tomatoes. I served it with a fresh green salad and french bread which rounded out the meal perfectly. And yes...I went back for seconds! Thank for the great recipe I will be trying this again. Bugmom
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, in California. I am now a stay at home mom after trying desperately for 9 years. With the love and generosity of my sister-in-law who acted as our surrogate we now have a beautiful little boy, Ian. I love to camp and go jet skiing with my husband and our families. We have a wonderful chihuahua named Swiffy! She is always making us laugh. We enjoy spending time with our many nieces and nephews. I am an avid reader and I'm addicted to reality television!</p>