Gramma's Rice Tuna Casserole
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is a recipe I got from my Gramma who's been making this for as long as I can remember, and is one of my family's favourite dishes.
- Ready In:
- 2 (120 g) cans tuna, drained
- 2 cups rice, uncooked
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 0.5 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Prepare rice according to package, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place tuna and onions in large mixing bowl. Squish plum tomatoes in your hand to yield smaller pieces of them. Once done, mix tuna, onions and tomatoes together.
- Ten minutes or so before rice is done cooking, place milk in a medium saucepan, add pepper and cornstarch. Whisk until the cornstarch doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Add in butter and turn a burner on to med-hi.
- Continue whisking, or the milk will burn. Once the milk mix gets hot enough to start boiling, it will thicken, turn off burner, and whisk for another 30 seconds.
- Add milk mixture to the tuna mixture. Stir mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Add rice to tuna mixture. After everything is well incorporated, pour mix into a 9x13" casserole dish. Place in oven and bake for about 35 minutes. If you want a crispier top, raise temperature to 400°F.
- Take out of oven and enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION