Governor Tom Ridge's Fresh Mushroom Soup for Thanksgiving
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
It was something of a tradition for the governor and his father to make this soup together as a first course for the family's Thanksgiving meal.
- Ready In:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups finely minced yellow onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and saute the onions and sugar slowly until golden - about 30-45 minutes.
- Gently clean the mushrooms with a kitchen towel or paper towel. Slice 1/3 of the mushrooms and finely chop the rest.
- Add all mushrooms to the onions and saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour until smooth and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in water and stir until smooth.
- Add chicken broth, vermouth and salt and heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- This can be prepared in advance and refrigerated. Reheat, covered, over low heat for 10 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION