Gourmet Pesto Pizza
- Ready In:
- 20 ounces whole wheat pizza dough (store-bought or home-made)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄8 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained
- 2 ounces herbed goat cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (or your favorite pizza cheese)
- 2 ounces sliced black olives
- 3 -4 ounces pesto sauce (store-bought or home-made)
- If the pizza dough has been refrigerated, take it out and let it warm up a bit.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pan and then add the mushrooms and chopped onions. Saute until soft. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and cook for another minute or two. If there is liquid remaining in the pain, drain it.
- Stretch out the pizza dough onto a lightly oiled pizza pan, or a pizza stone.
- spread the pesto sauce onto the dough -- it's best of the pesto is a little less oily than usual: if I buy store-bought I let it separate a bit in the container and then avoid the oil rather than mixing it back inches.
- Top with the sauteed vegetables, then the shredded cheese.
- Add the black olives and small (1/2 inch cubes) chunks of the goat cheese.
- Bake according to the instructions on the dough or dough recipe (generally 450 degrees for about 10-12 minutes).
- Slice and enjoy!