Gourmet Garlic Roast Tomato Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Save the Campbell's cans to decorate your pantry
- Ready In:
- 8 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup cherry tomatoes, stems removed
- 4 fluid ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf
- 8 fluid ounces heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Cut the large tomatoes in half and gently squeeze to remove most of the seed and juice.
- Soak the anchovy in warm water to soften and remove excess salt.
- When softened, peel the filets from the bones and chop one finely for the soup.
- Heat a suitable pot over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Add the garlic, anchovy and chili flakes and sauté for aroma.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring regularly, until the onions become soft and brown.
- Add the tomatoes, bring to a simmer and reduce the heat.
- Stir regularly until the tomatoes completely break down.
- At the same time, toss the cherry tomatoes in the virgin olive oil, season them with salt and pepper, and then roast in a hot oven on a baking sheet until they begin to burst open then add them to the pot.
- When the tomatoes have completely broken down, add the basil and stir into the soup.
- Puree the soup in a blender and then strain through a fine sieve to remove seeds, skin, etc.
- Finally, season to taste with salt and pepper and finish with a touch more virgin olive oil to smooth the texture.
- Prepare the garlic cream by combining the garlic and cream in a small pot and bringing to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the cream is reduced in volume to about 1/3 of original volume and the garlic cloves are very soft.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a small fine sieve, forcing the cloves of garlic through with a spoon or spatula.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, heat the soup and ladle into four warm bowls.
- Drizzle the garlic cream over the soup in a decorative pattern and sprinkle a bit of Parmesan cheese over the top.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION