Gorgonzola Broccoli Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 lbs broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled gorgonzola or 1/2 cup other blue cheese
- 2 cups French bread or 2 cups other firm white bread, 1/2 inch cubes
- In a 5 to 6 quart pan over high heat, bring about 3 quarts water to boil.
- Rinse broccoli and trip off the discard tough stem ends.
- Cut into one inch pieces.
- Boil Broccoli until barely tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Rinse and dry pan.
- Add 1/4 cup of butter and melt over med.
- Stir in flour unti smoothly blended.
- Cook until bubbly, about 1 minute.
- Add milk and stir over medium high heat until mixture is boiling and thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Add cream cheese an gorgonzola; whisk unti smoothly blended, stir in broccoli.
- Pour into a small casserole dish (2 1/2 3 qt).
- In a blender or food processor, whirl bread cubes into coarse crumbs; you should have about 1 1/3 cups.
- In a small bowl mix the bread with the melted butter (1 tablespoon).
- Sprinkle evenly over broccoli mixture.
- Bake at 350 until it's hot in the center and crumbs are golden, 20 to 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is an awesome dish. My grandma served this at Thanksgiving and I had to find this recipe for myself. I've made it twice, the first time I over cooked the broccoli and it ruined the flavor. The second time, my husband helped me and he ended up not using all of the broccoli (I think he only used 1 1/2 - 2 lbs of it) and it got rave reviews from my family.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live with my husband, my 16 year-old son, our four- year old daughter, and two cats, one dog and a gecko. <br /> <br />I'm a stay-at-home mom as well as a Real Estate Agent with Connect Realty. It's keeping me busy and I don't have nearly as much time to check out Zaar as I'd like. <br /> <br />Although I really like to cook, I can't always devote the time to cooking. I've found many recipes on this site that can be made quickly that are very tasty and healthy. I've also found A TON of recipes that I'm dying to try. <br />I've been able to contribute a few recipes to this site. Just so you know, I am THE WORST when it comes to typing. Many errors. If you see a typo on a recipe of mine I apologize in advance. ;-)</p>