Gordon Ramsay's Bubble & Squeak Cakes
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Gordon Ramsay's scrumptious potato cakes are perfect for serving with your Boxing Day ham
- Ready In:
- 1 kg floury potato, quartered (I use King Edward)
- 40 g butter
- 500 g Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 50 g plain flour, seasoned with
- salt and pepper
- olive oil, for frying
- Boil the potatoes for 12-15 mins or until tender, then drain and return to the pan over a low heat for 1-2 mins to dry out. Add the butter and mash well. Meanwhile, boil the sprouts for 3-5 mins until just tender. Drain and cool quickly under cold running water. Shake dry, then shred as finely as you can.
- Mix the sprouts with the potatoes and season to taste. Leave until cool enough to handle, then shape into 8 round cakes. Tip the flour onto a plate, then coat the cakes, tapping off the excess.
- Heat a 5mm depth of oil in a large frying pan and shallow-fry the cakes in 2 batches for 2 mins each side, turning carefully. Drain on kitchen paper and transfer to a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper. Cool, cover and chill or freeze. Will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze for up to a month.
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5 (or if you’ve roasted the ham, leave the oven on while it rests) and reheat the cakes for 15 mins until hot through and crisp on the outside.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION