Golden Potato Cakes
photo by gertc96
- Ready In:
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and washed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2⁄3 cup fresh breadcrumbs or 2/3 cup dried breadcrumbs, finely ground
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -2 egg, beaten
- Shred peeled potatoes with grater.
- Put shredded potatoes in colander, then rinse and squeeze potatoes under running cold water in sink for a minute or two.
- Squeeze out excess water until potatoes are fairly dry, then dump them into a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix with hands until incorporated.
- Pat into patties the size of your hand.
- Fry with a few tablespoons butter in a non-stick frying pan until golden, turning once.
- Serve as-is or with ketchup or a dollop of sour cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Oh, these are sooooo good! I tasted the first one to make sure I was cooking them long enough. I had one with a bit of sour cream as suggested. They taste great even without it! I used a yellow pepper as that was all I had, a shallot in lieu of an onion, fresh dried sage from my herb garden and added some garlic powder. I've made these ahead of time and will reheat in the oven come dinner time. My only complaint is that I didn't make more. I got a dozen patties out of this as I halved the recipe and cooked them about 5 minutes each side over a low heat.