Goan Chicken Curry
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
For the marinade
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup water
- Mix together all the marinade ingredients to give you a loose, smooth paste. Add the chicken pieces and coat them in the paste. They are best left to marinate for around 30 minutes to 1 hour, but if you're in a hurry a few minutes will do.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and add the mustard seeds. When they start to pop and jump about in the pan, add the onion and garlic. Cook until they're golden brown before adding the chicken and any extra paste from the marinade. Fry over a gentle heat for about 8 minutes before adding the coconut milk. Increase the heat slightly and bring to a simmer. Cook for a further 10-12 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly before seasoning with salt if necessary and serving with rice or naan bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
added a little extra cayenne and chili and left the cumin out (didn't have any and neither did local store) but did everything the same. don't be fooled by the initial subtlety of the curry flavour, i was worried it would be too bland but it certainly wasn't. this is a really good curry that's very simple to make from scratch and is something a little different.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Manchester, UK with my fiance and young son. I work at the local hospital in pediatrics and love my job. I also love cooking!! I have a sweet tooth but try and make healthy family meals, I'm not against some lovely treats now and then though :)