Gnocchi in Tomato Cream sauce.
photo by Aleigha Nicole
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 2 lbs home-made or bought gnocchi
- 1 small onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery rib
- 2 3⁄4 lbs canned, peeled tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces cream
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- parsley (for sprinkling)
- Chop the onion, carrot and celery.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan or pot and add the onion, carrot and celery.
- Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 fahrenheit (210 celsius).
- Add the tomatoes,including the juice,to the pan along with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes until thickened.
- Don't forget to stir occasionally.
- Put in the blender and puree.
- Pour it back into the pan, remove from the heat and stir in cream and nutmeg.
- Season to taste.
- Place the gnocchi in a large baking dish and cover with the sauce. (Precook the gnocchi to package directions if you are using storebought gnocchi.)
- Bake in preheated oven until very hot and starting to brown on top.
- About 7-10 minutes.
- Serve immediatly, sprinkled with parsley.
- The sauce can be made a day ahead up until adding the cream.
- Only add the cream and bake just before serving.
- This makes a great and very tasty vegetarian dish or side dish.
- I like to make it with spinach gnocchi.
- Serve with bread to mop up the delicious sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is the same recipe i have kept on me for years. I didnt have the exact quantities of the ingrediants because i quickly wrote the recipe down on a peice of paper and am so glad I found this on here. This dish is sooo delicious I have tried making it with chicken a few times but found its better just as. I have made this quite a few times now on my boyfriends request TY Dale
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have a passion for healthy and simple dishes with lots of vegetables, although I love a treat every now and again also, especially ice cream!