Gluten Free Japanese Curry Rice
- Ready In:
- 3 cups japanese rice, cook in rice cooker with water up to 3 cup line
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 lb beef, stir fry cut (2-3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, grated
- 4 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- pickled ginger, red (beni shoga)
- 1. Rinse the rice and get it cooking in your rice cooker.
- 2. Put the potatoes and carrots in a pan with water to cover and simmer to soften them.
- 3. In the final pan (e.g. a 5 qt stew pot), brown the meat. Remove meat from pan and set aside.
- 4. Add butter to pan, melt, and add onions, and garlic. As the onions go translucent and start to brown, add the mushrooms. Cook them down a bit. Add gingerroot.
- 5. Combine the rice flour, salt, sugar, curry powder. Add to onion/garlic/mushroom and mix. Add the beef broth and stir to mix it in and make sure there's no lumps of flour mixture. As it starts coming to a boil, you can add back the meat and drained carrots and potatoes. Once it's thickened and the meat is heated through again, it's done. I like to stir in a cup of sour cream for added richness, but this is optional.
- The traditional way to serve this is in a large bowl with rice on one half and curry on the other, with a teaspoon or so of beni shoga on the side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!