Gluten Free Finnish (Hoito) Pancake
photo by taekat
- Ready In:
- 4 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 4 -6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 cup of melted butter
- 1 cup rice flour (White)
- 1⁄3 cup quinoa flour
- 1⁄3 cup potato starch
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch or 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Get 2 mixing bowls: 1 large bowl for mixing all the ingredients and 1 medium bowl for mixing the flour and starch. Do not add the Xantham Gum.
- Add rice flour, quinoa four, potato starch and cornstarch / tapioca starch into the medium bowl. Use a combination of Tapioca and Corn Starch. Mix with a fork.
- Add the sugar, salt, eggs, vanilla and milk into large bowl. Mix or blend thoroughly until all ingredients are dissolved then add melted butter and mix again.
- Slowly add the flour and starch from the medium bowl to the large bowl while constantly mixing or blending.
- Finally add the Xantham gum. I find 1/2 teaspoon is perfect however some may prefer less or more. You can add it in smaller increments however keep in mind that I have found that Xantham gum does take a few minutes to activate. Therefore if you add it in smaller increments make sure you blend in between the increments for at least 2-3 minutes to see the full effect.
- Let the mixture sit for at least 30 minutes to flatten out the batter or in the Fridge overnight.
- Pre-heat a 12" pan to half the temperature of what you would cook regular pancakes (medium-low), this should take about 5 minutes. From my experience the rice flour and starches need a longer and slower cooking process otherwise the pancake will be crispy on the outside and mushy on the inside. To get a golden crispy look and texture, pre-grease the pan with butter before cooking each pancake.
- Place no more then 1/2 cup of the pancake batter into the centre of the pan and rotate/tilt the batter to the edges of the pan. You want the pancakes to been slightly thicker then a crepe. Every pan is different so experiment to get the right dose per pancake.
- Cook for at least 2 minutes on the first side and 1 minute on the second side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!