Gluten-Free, Dairy Free Irish Soda Bread
photo by Chef Joey Z.
- Ready In:
1 6 inch loaf
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 2 cups flour (gluten free high protein)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter (or palm fruit shortening)
- 2 tablespoons margarine (Vegan Earth Balance)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (you can add 1 tsp. of lemon juice to the milk and it will make a butter milk substitute)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds (lightly toasted)
- Preheat oven to 400'F.
- Lightly dust your baking sheet with flour. Plump the currants by covering with hot water for 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly and set aside.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt together.
- With your fingers, pinch the coconut butter into the flour mixture until it resembles course sand.
- Add the currants and caraway seeds fluffing the mixture up as you add them.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture and add 1/2 cup of the buttermilk. Mix the dry ingredients into the milk, adding more milk as needed to create a soft dough. Better to have this mixture wet then dry.
- Dust the counter with flour and turn the dough onto the flour and gently knead adding more flour to prevent it from sticking. Shape the dough into a flat 6" loaf.
- Place on your prepared cookie sheet and sprinkle the top with more flour and cut an X in the top with a sharp knife.
- Place in your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm with Vegan margarine or your favourite jam.
- Bon Appetit!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!