My dad just loved to experiment in the kitchen. This was one of his recipes that we all went nuts over and he didn't end up destroying the kitchen. It is absoultely wonderful over steaks or baked potatoes. Don't be afraid of the anchovies. My 10 year old son love this. P.S. He doesn't know about the anchovies. It sounds terrible but I can promise you that it is absoultely wonderful. My dad came up with this recipe
- Ready In:
- 1 vidalia onion
- 3 -4 cloves garlic
- 1 -2 can anchovies or 1 package anchovy paste
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 -3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon brandy or 1 teaspoon sherry wine
- 1 lb mushroom (Your choice)
- 3 tablespoons butter (not margarine)
- Melt butter over medium heat in large saute pan.
- Saute onion until clear add garlic and brandy cook 2-3 minutes.
- Put in bowl and set aside.
- DO NOT RINSE OUT SAUTE PAN.
- Over medium heat in same saute pan add cream cheese and sour cream.
- Add anchovies and worcheshire sauce.
- Add mushrooms and simmer until mushrooms are cooked.
- Add onion garlic mixture back to pan.
- Turn off heat.
- Serve over Steak or Baked potatoes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This is very good. I made it as shown, but I used light sour cream. I also added several generous grinds of black pepper, and several tablespoons of milk at the end to thin it out a bit. The anchovies are not optional. Don't be afraid; you won't really know they're in there, but the sauce will suffer if they are not.
Sorry to be the "party pooper" here, but this is one of those "coconut" recipes - either you like it or you don't. I didn't. However, my 2 picky kids who don't eat anything both did. I used sherry, and most of a 1.58oz tube of anchovy paste (minus about 1 T that I had used before). I also used 1/2 tsp. garlic powder because I was out of fresh garlic. I urge everyone to try this. I get the impression that if it's for you, it will be positively heavenly!