Glorious Vegetarian Gravy for Roast Dinners
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 medium Spanish onion, sliced (not diced)
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, roasted & crushed
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 dashes maggi seasoning, sauce
- 2⁄3 cup red wine
- 2⁄3 cup white wine
- splash brandy (perhaps 4 Tbsp., this is all to taste)
- garlic salt, ground cayenne pepper, freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable broth
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch, mixed into water
- On medium-high or high heat, sautee the onion, mushroom and garlic in the butter, until nicely browned - do not burn, but make sure it's hot enough to really sizzle and give some nice colour.
- Season with garlic salt (or regular), cayenne and pepper.
- When the pan is beginning to brown with bits stuck to it, add in the soy sauce, Maggi sauce, wines, and brandy. The pan might hiss and spit when you pour it in; don't worry.
- Stir well, and bring to a simmer. Taste (it will be strong) and add more wine if necessary to get a good, balanced flavour.
- Add vegetable broth, tasting, frequently, until desired flavour has been reached (this is to mellow out the alcohol, and completely up to you).
- When the flavour is perfect, stir in the cornstarch already mixed with water (to avoid clumps) a little at a time until desired consistency.
- The gravy shouldn't be too thick; you want to be able to pour it out like normal roast gravy (like a jus).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a vegetarian cook who is passionate about using the best ingredients to make simple but delicious meals for my family. I love to try a more complicated and elaborate recipe once in a while, and menu-planning is a favourite pass-time. The wonderful world of wine is a natural extension of my love for food, and cookbook-collecting another.