Glen's Creamy Cake Filling (Mock Cream)
- Ready In:
- 1 cup butter, soft (250g)
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar (250g)
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water, probably less
- 1⁄2 cup cold water, probably less
- Dissolve icing sugar with very little boiling water, only enough to make it just slide into butter but not be watery.
- Beat butter until soft and creamy, then add icing sugar, a little at a time and beat until white and creamy - taste before all the icing sugar has been added to see if it is sweet enough, only add the rest if it is needed.
- Add 1 tbs of boiling water, beat again, then add 1 tbs cold water.
- Continue beating until smooth, keep adding alternately a little boiling water then cold water until sugary taste has gone.
Join The Conversation
I just made this lovely creamy filling and I have to say in my well over 55yrs of baking this is the best mock cream recipe I have ever used! Simple ingredients and easy to do. This will certainly be my 'go to' recipe from now on. I am using it for filling in a chocolate cake and added a drop of vanilla and about 80 grams of chopped up Crispy Mint Crème chocolate. Yummy! I found I didn't need all the water. Thank you so much and I highly recommend to all.
I agree with earlier postings, light, delicious and a good base for variety of flavours. My favourites are as is in a layered coffee gateau (Coffee cream covering the top and sides) and with vanilla added to the mix and spread over squished fresh strawberries in between a vanilla cake layers. I always use unsalted butter with a pinch more or less of salt. Always enjoyed. Thank you.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi I’m Glen and I live in Sydney with my wonderful husband Ross. We have eight beautiful grandchildren, two of them live near us in Sydney, two live in Western Australia, two more live in Queensland and another two in northern NSW. I can't imagine how I ever managed before I found Zaar - I use it regularly to plan meals and find new and interesting recipes and most important of all to keep track of our family favourites. <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://wmg.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://wmg.photobucket.com/albums/v209/rglgrl/1159781795.pbw" height="240" width="360"></embed> The photos are of our beautiful grandchildren. <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://wmg.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://wmg.photobucket.com/albums/v209/rglgrl/1160294339.pbw" height="360" width="360"></embed> <a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/rglgrl/Collagez520-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">