Glazed Fresh Berry Pie
- Ready In:
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 18 inches deep dish pie shells, baked
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups whipping cream, to serve (whipped and sweetened with icing sugar and vanilla)
- First, bake the deep dish pie shells according to the instructions on the box, then let cool as you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- To make glaze, crush 2 cups strawberries; add cold water to make 2 cups juice mixture. Pour into small heavy saucepan and place over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes; strain and add cold water to make 2 cups.
- In heavy saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually whisk in strawberry juice mixture and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook for 1 minute or until mixture is thick, stirring constantly. Cool glaze slightly.
- Generously fill baked pie shells with the fresh strawberries and blueberries. Divide the glaze in half, then pour over the fruit in each pie. Put in refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours or until glaze is chilled and set.
- Just before serving, whip cream with some icing sugar and a splash of vanilla to sweeten. Enjoy this fantastic summer dessert! Everyone will ask for seconds.
Join The Conversation