Gingery Pear Jam
photo by dianegrapegrower
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
7 1/2 pints
- 5 lbs pears, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 5 cups sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (or substitute 1-2 T. candied ginger, minced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- Prepare 1/2 pint jars, lids, and water bath canner. Place a small plate in the freezer to chill.
- After chopping, puree roughly half the pears in a food processor until smooth. Alternatively, you may grate all the pears. Or you may use an immersion blender in the pot when half cooked. The goal is to have a jam with a smooth pulpy texture, punctuated by small chunks of fruit. Without the smooth, pulpy pears, the taste is more like pears in ginger sauce.
- Add all ingredients to a 5-6 quart dutch oven. Stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook until thickened, stirring occaisionally. (20-30 minutes, depending on how juicy the fruit is).
- Test thickness of jam by putting a small spoonful on a chilled plate, and tilting. If the jam remains mounded and doesn't drip, it's done.
- Fill jars, leaving a 1/4" headspace, cap, and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!