- Ready In:
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, Ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, Ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin, Ground
- 2 2 tablespoons pork fat or 2 tablespoons beef fat
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup onion, Finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, Finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, Minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup pan drippings from chicken
- 8 gingersnap cookies
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger, Ground, to taste
- Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Melt the fat and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When almost melted, add the onions, celery, and garlic; saute 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the seasoning mix and cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock and pan drippings; bring to a boil over high heat and boil rapidly until liquid reduces to about 1 quart, about 25 minutes.
- Then crumble the gingersnaps into the stock mixture and whisk with a metal whisk until they are dissolved.
- Continue cooking 10 minutes, whisking frequently and making sure the gingersnaps are thoroughly dissolved.
- During this time, taste the gravy; if the ginger flavour is not pronounced,m add the 1 tablespoon brown sugar and the 1 teaspoon ginger or add both to taste.
- Strain the gravy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a writer, a retired accountant, a wife, grandmother, a gardener, a cook, a bird watcher, a sky watcher, a lover of the ocean, a walker, and a life long resident of Victoria, BC on Vancouver Island. It's a big city now, with all the big city advantages and disadvantages. I miss the small town feel but love the restaurant choices and the people friendly improvements. My writing is mainly non fiction on historical bits, and I have brief and so far unsuccessful forays into historical fiction. Someday..... I don't think I'm a great cook but I'm the kind of cook who can walk into the kitchen and find good things in the fridge and pantry and make it into a meal that everyone thinks is pretty darn good. Sometimes I use a recipe and sometimes...not so much. I have a great collection of cookbooks, and I love reading them and studying the pictures. Sometimes I even cook the recipes, LOL! And that is why I love Zaar, an unending source of recipes and pictures. It's heaven! <img src="http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/HerbsandSpicesSwap2009Sticker.jpg"> <img src="http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/CalendarGirlsSwap2009.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> <img src="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/vjuhl/MEPcookathon.jpg"> <img src="http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/celticevergreen/ASIAN.jpg"> <img src="http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/bayhill/Zaar%20Icons%20and%20Greetings/gs2009jane.jpg"> <img src ="http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/diner_photos/lazymecookathon.jpg"> <img src="http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/celticevergreen/indianbanner.jpg"> <img src="http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr336/jess4freedom/Zaar%20banners/ANZ-MakeMyRecipe.jpg"> <img src="http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/Birthday%20and%20Celebration%20Images/Calendargirls2.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/Birthday%20and%20Celebration%20Images/spicesswap_amtag3.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/KBparticipation.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/vegbannerbasetemp-small.jpg?t=1232859306"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/CookathonforKarensticker.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/AMpageSticker.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <a href="http://www.maploco.com/view.php?id=3212921"><img border=0 src="http://www.maploco.com/vmap/3212921.png" alt="Visitor Map"></a><a href="http://www.maploco.com/">Create your own visitor map!</a><img style="visibility:hidden;width:0px;height:0px;" border=0 width=0 height=0 src="http://counters.gigya.com/wildfire/IMP/CXNID=2000002.0NXC/bT*xJmx*PTEyMzQ2NTE*NzM4MjgmcHQ9MTIzNDY1MTQ5Mzg5MCZwPTMyMzAwMiZkPSZnPTEmdD*mbz1lMmY5NTExNWZiZDk*OWMzODU5OTNhM2Y1MDhkOWU5YQ==.gif" />