Wrote this recipe down while watching Food Network while recovering from surgery. It was featured in the "Food Network Caters Your Hawaiian Wedding". This was one of Paula Deen's contributions. I love ginger cookies and can't wait until I can get in the kitchen and whip up a batch. They looked SOO good!
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
- Using an electric mixer at low speed, cream the shortening and sugar until thoroughly combined.
- Add the egg and molasses and beat until completely incorporated.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt and add to the mixture.
- Stir until combined.
- Roll the dough into balls about 1-inch in diameter.
- Roll the balls in sugar.
- Place 1/2-inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Flatten the balls slightly with your fingertips.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I made these following the recipe exactly except I used a heaping teaspoon of ginger. I also used a cookie scoop rather than rolling them by hand. They came out beautifully...crunchy enough to snap after they cooled but still with a bit of "chew" in the center. It's really important that you sift the dry ingredients! The perfect ginger cookie, IMHO.
these tasted great but 2 cups flour was not near enough i added probably 1/2 cup or more to it and then it was barely rolling consistancy. and i think 2 tsp soda was too much too as my cookies looked like sea foam when i took them out and then flattened and were more of a cakey cookie. i added some vanilla and i did put 2 tsp of ginger in them and a dash of red pepper. like i said the taste is a 5 star but the recipe and the look of the cookie was not very nice.