Ginger and Garlic Potatoes
- Ready In:
- 700 g potatoes
- 2 1⁄3 cm gingerroot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed (whole)
- 1 large apple, cored and diced (eating)
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and sliced diagonally
- 1 tablespoon coriander, freshly chopped
- Scrub the potatoes, then place , unpeeled, in a large saucepan and cover with bolng salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes, then drain and leave the potatoes to cool completely. Peel and cut into 2.5 cm cubes.
- Place the root ginger, garlic, turmeric, salt and cayenne papper in a food processor and blend for 1 minute. With the motor still running, slowly add 3 tablespoon of water and blend into a paste. Alternatively. pound the ingredients to a paste with a pestle and mortar.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based frying pan and when hot, but not smoking, add the fennel seeds and fry for a few minutes. Stir in the ginger paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Take care not to burn the mixture.
- Reduce the heat, then add the potatoes and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until the potatoes have a golden-brown crust. Add the diced apple and spring onions, then sprinkle with the freshly chopped coriander. Heat through for 2 minutes, then serve on assorted salad leaves with curry-flavoured mayonnaise.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!