photo by Tea Jenny
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until onions are translucent (about 10 mins).
- Add the celery, carrots, and 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper. Saute until all veggies are soft (about 10 mins).
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens (about 1 hour).
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Note: When serving with Kittencal's meatballs, I make the sauce the day before, bring it to a boil, drop in the meatballs, cover and cook according to Kittencal's directions. I like to serve this over Barilla's "thick spaghetti.".
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was yummy, I made it and had it with meatballs and froze the rest in zip lock bags flat so it took up no room at all so so handy when DH requests meatballs in sauce. And what better sauce to have than this, I made it to the recipe with no changes, I like the chunkiness of the veg in it. I actually made it a good few weeks back and this was the first of me reviewing it as I forgot all about it till DH's request, so I cooked my meatballs in the oven as it was on anyway and put my sauce in my slow cooker on low, when it was warm enough popped in the meatballs and hey presto a very quick lunch. Thank you so much for posting, this is one I will be keeping in my freezer all the time now. Made for warm up January 2011