German Style Grey Bread (Rye-Wheat Mix) Graubrot
photo by bur0203
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 35mins
2 2 small breads
- 1.) In large bowl, combine 2 teaspoons of yeast, 1 1/2 tbs of brown sugar (or 2 tbs of Molasses instead) with 1 of cup of warm water and 10 OZ of beer (105F -115F to activate yeast) Mix slowly and let sit for 5 minutes.
- 2.) Add the rye flour and Caraway seeds, mix in with a wooden spoon
- 3.) Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let it sit for 2 to 3 hours.
- 4.) Add salt, whole wheat flour and bread flour. Mix in with a wooden spoon.
- 5.) Knead the dough for 7-10 minutes. If sticky, add some flour, or if too dry add some water. (Rye dough will always be stickier than white bread though).
- 6.) Grease a bowl with oil and place dough in bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let it sit until doubled. About 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°F
- 7.) Prepare pan by oiling it and sprinkle some corn meal. It helps to avoid the bread getting burned at the bottom.
- 8.) Punch down dough and shape into two breads and place into greased pans.
- 9.) Slash top of the bread about 1/5 inch deep. Let the bread sit for 5 minutes.
- 10.) Place dough in oven at 425 (oven has to be preheated) ( optional sprinkle on some water to get steam going every 10 minutes). Bake for 35-45 minutes. Knock on the bread; if it sounds hollow it is done. A cup of water in the oven also helps to keep the bread moist, something you want with Rye bread.
- 11.) Place bread on wire rack and let it cool down.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!