German S Shaped Cookies
These yolk-rich cookies have been "regulars" on my Xmas cookie trays for decades. They're delicious small bites and the recipe makes a lot, but they will all be eaten. From Joy of Cooking.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 8mins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 egg yolks
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 egg yolk, for egg wash
- 1⁄4 cup colored sugar sprinkle
- Beat butter till soft; beat in sugar gradually till light and creamy.
- Beat in egg yolks, lemon rind and lemon juice.
- Stir in flour.
- Chill dough 1 hour; roll it into sticks 1/4" diameter.
- Form into small "S" shapes on greased baking sheets.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees approximately 8 to 10 minutes or until golden around edges. Check carefully to see that they don't get too brown.
- Prep time does not include chill time.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION