German Potato Salad With Sausage
photo by morgainegeiser
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 10mins
- 8 slices bacon, strips cut up
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 lbs medium red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. remove and drain.
- Saute onion in the drippings for one minute.
- Add sausage, cook until lightly browned.
- Add potatoes, cook 2 minutes longer.
- Drain. Transfer to a 3 quart slow cooder.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Pour over sausage mixture.
- Cover and cook for 5-7 hours on low until potatoes are tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is sooo good. My aunt made it for a potluck and someone else in the family has a sausuage and sauerkraut recipe that they usually make, this definitely is the new winner. Even though it is titled as a German Potato Salad, it is way more, this is a complete meal! Thank you for posting the recipe, I was having a hard time finding it on the Taste of Home web site since their search engine isn't very good!
This was fantastic! I followed the recipe exactly (except I cooked it on high for 4 1/2 hours instead). It has a nice flavour and the potatoes were quite savoury. The sauce coated everything quite well. If I was cooking it again for myself (and not my husband) I would probably omit the sausage, add more bacon and add a little more sauerkraut. Thanks for the recipe!