German Potato Salad
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This recipe was handed down from my mother and is a nice, zingy type of what can often be a blunt, boring potato salad. Try to use small, similar sized potatoes if possible.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs charlotte potatoes (or salad or new potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon liquid maggi seasoning sauce (from Supermarkets or delicatessen)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 sweet gherkins, finely chopped (also add 1 tablespoon liquid from Cucumber Gherkin jar)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- Allow 1 hour cooling time at end of recipe!
- Boil the potatoes in their skins for about 15 minutes, checking to ensure they are just done but not falling apart.
- Meanwhile make the sauce by adding all the other ingredients together in a big mixing bowl.
- When you taste the sauce it should be quite vinegary and salty - adjust to achieve this taste by adding more vinegar if too bland or more mayonnaise if too acidic. Remember: The potatoes will soak up most of the liquid, the salt and the vinegar.
- Drain the potatoes and while still hot (use kitchen gloves) cut into half inch (1.5 cm) slices, peeling potatoes only if you used new potatoes or have a phobia about skins.
- Add sufficient sauce to achieve a wet look, mix under and leave to cool.
- Before serving taste again and add more sauce or adjust taste if needed.
- Serve with Frankfurter Sausages, Beefburgers or serve with Bar-be-ques.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION