German Bean Soup (Bohnensuppe)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 1⁄2 lb white beans, soaked overnight in water to cover
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup cubed bacon or 1/2 cup country ham
- 1⁄4 lb green beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 celery root, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes (if you can't find celeriac, use 2 stalks of celery, cut into cubes)
- 1 carrot, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 leek, sliced into thin rings
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 parsley root, cubed (or 1/2 cup chopped parsley)
- 1⁄2 lb small red potato, unpeeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon marjoram, crumbled between your palms
- 1 teaspoon thyme, crumbled between your palms
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt and pepper
- Drain the soaked beans, then put in a kettle with 8 cups of water and the bacon.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for an hour.
- Add the green beans, celery root cubes, carrots, leeks, onion, parsley root (or parsley), potatoes, marjoram, thyme, and bay leaves.
- Bring back to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for another hour.
- While the soup is cooking, melt the butter over low heat in a saucepan.
- Stir in the flour and let it brown very very slowly, stirring occasionally,this could take an hour, if you keep the heat low enough.
- When ready, stir in a little of the soup stock, whisk for a minute, then stir into the soup kettle.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook uncovered, stirring from time to time, for 10 minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in the parsley, remove the bay leaves, adjust the seasoning, then ladle into soup bowls and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My co-worker just made this soup and brought it into work. It is absolutely amazing. She didn't use celergy root, carrots or leaks, so it was mostly just bean soup, and she also added three tsp white vinegar to the broth at the end. I am going to try and make it to see if I can do as good as job as her.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/girl/zwaa.gif alt= /> I am an escapee from a previous life of professional employment in various fields of <img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/krank/med.gif alt= /> nursing, management and occupational health and saftey. <br /><br />We moved to Arizona 13 years ago after having spent all our life in different areas of MA. <br />I live with Mr. Lorac <img src=http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/squeeze.gif alt= /> and 2 black cats <img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/tiercat/2627.gif alt= /> Mo (Mozart) and <img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/tiercat/2627.gif alt= /> Go (Van Gogh). <br />I love doing creative things - <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/art/1.gif alt= /> oil painting, sewing, crafts, decorating and especially cooking. <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/cooking/3.gif alt= /> <br /><br />I enjoy digging through antique/thrift stores looking for treasures, art of any age, shape or form, <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/music2/11.gif alt= /> classical music, suspense- thriller type fiction and people watching. <br />I have 2 married sons, 2 wonderful daughter-in-laws, 4 <img src=http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/cat.gif alt= /> grandcats and 1 grandson <img src=http://www.smileycollector.com/images/patriotic/itty1.gif alt= /> born on the 4th of July ! <br /><br /><br />I Co-Host <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/talking/9.gif alt= /> the Recipe Request and Eastern European Forums. <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/BtoBHosts.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/BBQParticipantBanner-Final.jpg alt= /> <img src=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/ruemke/food/a.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=85476 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC5-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <br /><a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=85474 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC3-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=28467 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC2-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=35084 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC1-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/linien/27660.gif alt= /></p>