German/Bavarian Chopped Green Salad Mit Borretsch
From tastygermanrecipe.com. Fresh parsley, dill or chives can replace borage if it is unavailable. I wasn't sure what type of onion to use in the salad as it wasn't specified but for color I chose red. If it's another type of onion, kindly let me know and the recipe will be updated. Thanks! May I remind you?: Fresh ingredients-the best you can get.
- Ready In:
- 1 head lettuce (I used butter lettuce mixed with red loose leaf lettuce however any heirloom lettuce would be ideal)
- 1 cup watercress (rocket) or 1 cup arugula (rocket)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 8 -10 small red radishes
- 3 tablespoons fresh borage leaves, chopped (and a few borage flowers if available)
- freshly grated black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used walnut)
- Wash the lettuce and watercress well and spin dry.
- Prepare the dressing in a non-reactive container and set aside. Best prepared at least 1 hour in advance.
- Combine the salad ingredients together in a large salad bowl with the dressing. Toss to coat.
- Garnish with additional borage leaves and flowers.
- fyi: A sprinkle of freshly grated black pepper tasted really good on the salad.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I was able to get Borage herb (and use it) from our local Wegmans that had these right there, plunked right in front of the exotic and organic herbs/leaves. I was so happy! Reminded me of water-cress, and was definitely delightful in this super tasteful, and very flavorful salad. I love radishes and the really nice lettuces, and this now has completely become a truly lovely recipe for a salad, dainty and beyond! Made for ZWT 6 Zee Zesty!