Gateau Basque (French Pastry Cream Version)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
8 Cake Wedges
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter (unsalted & softened)
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄8 ounce yeast (5 gm)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon rum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
FOR PASTRY CREAM
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg yolk (beaten, for glaze)
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Make dough by mixing all dough ingredients in a lrg bowl. Do not knead dough too much, but rather allow it to rise for 2-3 hours.
- Make pastry cream by heating the milk in a saucepan together w/the vanilla bean split lengthwise. Remove from heat, cover & allow the vanilla to infuse for 20 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, rum & 2 egg yolks. Remove the vanilla bean from the saucepan & bring the milk back to a gentle boil. Gradually pour it over the flour/sugar mixture while whisking vigourously. Return mixture to the saucepan, reheat to a gentle boil (stirring freq), remove from heat & set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Roll out 2/3 of the dough to fit the base & sides of a shallow 9-in rd cake pan. Spread the filling over the dough, fold over the dough edges & brush them w/a little beaten egg yolk.
- Roll out the remaining dough to cover the filling completely, glaze w/beaten egg yolk & bake for 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, refrigerate till cold & dust w/powdered sugar prior to serving. Garnish w/red berries as desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I really wanted this to work, but after verifying the ingredient/measurements and trying this recipe twice, I have to say it just doesn't work. I followed the recipe to exact specs. The Dough doesn't have enough liquid to measure out and each time comes out more of a pie crust consistency and impossible to "roll out". By the time the ingredients come together and the liquid absorbed, you have a crumble consistency and after sitting for 4 hours will not "rise" at all. Once pressing the dough (pie crust style) into a 9" cake pan, there is only enough to fill the bottom if you use the entire amount. Next-the pastry cream also has too little liquid. The step to "Return mixture to the saucepan, reheat to a gentle boil" is impossible as the consistency after 2 tries is of a cookie dough (can't boil that). I'm certain of my measurements and just can't see this working. Sorry Twissis, but this recipe simply didn't turn out. ~Buddha
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am an American transplanted from Dallas to Iceland by marriage to a native Icelander & I retired to become his "Kitchen Queen". We love to entertain our family & friends, so I have an eclectic collection of recipes. I especially love simple, easy-fix, flexible & make-ahead recipes - BUT also like challenging myself on occasion. I enjoy baking & food photography. I am devoted to the "More is Always Better Principle" & apply it liberally to bacon, butter & garlic. I can have ingredient issues due to availability here in Iceland & my DH is medically diet-restricted from some ingredients as well. Either situation might require me to modify a recipe, but I will do my best to be true to your recipes & fair/honest in my reviews. Mary Pat (aka twissis)