Garlicky Chicken Soup
This recipe appeared in one of our Local Newspapers. However, I made some modifications and added some spices and vegetables. Turned out real good. A nice light soup.
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped very small
- 2 large carrots, scrubbed and chopped very small
- 3 stalks celery, chopped into small pieces
- 2 large bay leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 8 large garlic cloves, finely grated
- 8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 cup fresh cauliflower floret
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over low heat.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, bay leaves, thyme and sage and cook until onions softens and becomes translucent, about 8 minutes,,stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute on medium-high heat.
- Add broth, white pepper, salt, and cauliflower florets; increase heat to high and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover pot and simmer until carrots are softened, about 6 - 8 minutes.
- Add chicken cubes and bring soup back to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes longer or until chicken is cooked through and there is no pink showing in the chicken.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Serve soup hot.
- Refrigerate any unused portion.
- NOTE: If you like a spicy soup, add about 1 teaspoon of Mexican Chili Powder and some Cayenne Pepper.
- I also went very light on the amount of salt used, so the soup could be somewhat bland, add salt to your taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
The flavor is unbeatable. The only thing I did was I added more carrots, celery and min bow tie noodles. Next time I will leave out the noodles and add cauliflower, I always put cauliflower in my chicken soup. I think that even rice would be yummy in this soup. Thanks for another great recipe next week it will be German potato cheese soup!