Garlic Tomato Rice Bowl
photo by KAVITA B.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain basmati rice
- 3 black cardamom pods
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon shahi jeera powder
- 1⁄2 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic paste
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon spring onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Wash rice 2-3 times with water and soak in water for 30 minutes in medium sized pot.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, shahi jeera and cardamom in soaked rice.
- In small pan heat 2 1/2 tablespoon of oil at medium heat .
- Add cumin seeds and add chopped onion. Saute onion for 5-6 minutes until onion becomes light brown. Lower the heat.
- Add garlic paste and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, 1/2 teaspoon salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cilantro and stir well for 6-7 minutes.
- Let it cool down and set aside.
- Now boil rice at medium high heat and add 1/2 tablespoon oil.
- After 15-17 minutes check if rice is almost done but should not be over cooked.
- Drain excess water through sieve and let rice cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix rice and tomato mixture well and heat for 5 more minutes to incorporate well.
- Serve in serving bowl and garnished with spring onion.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!