Garlic Spinach Soup
- Ready In:
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 12 ounces evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large pot bring spinach, chicken stock, carrot, onion, and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly and then carefully puree in small batches in a blender.
- Return soup to pot and keep warm on low.
- Mix flour into evaporated milk.
- Stir soup while gradually adding in milk flour mixture.
- Add pepper and nutmeg; heat through. Do not boil.
Join The Conversation
I don't think I ever made a spinach soup that I did not like. I made about half the recipe, which was two servings for us. I used a combination of fresh and frozen spinach, as I had some fresh to use up. I put a little butter in the saucepan, added the onion and carrots and sauteed for a bit. Then added the garlic and spinach and sauteed just a touch. Then I sprinkled the flour over the veggies and stirred until no flour was showing. Now I added the broth and simmered. When everything was soft, I added a combination of whole milk and half and half and blended. Reheated briefly to bring it up to the proper temp. I loved this as written, Mr Grumpy insisted on pouring in hot sauce.... Still, another good way of making a delicious soup.
This was DELICIOUS SOUP Debbwl! I made as directed, but added an additional 2 cups of broth, and used 8 cloves garlic. This made for a very garlicy flavor, but didn't overpower the spinach. WONDERFUL GOOD STUFF ~ DH really enjoyed it, he had 2 bowls. I served it with garlic-cheese croutons. Thanks for posting, a new keeper for us. Made for FALL PHOTO TAG - OCTOBER 2010!