Garlic & Dill Pickled Cucumbers (Gherkins)
I've been making this recipe for years, Have always been a lover of Dill pickles but when I couldn't find any I made this recipe!
- Ready In:
- 12hrs 20mins
- 1 kg small cucumber, up to 5 inches long
- 1⁄4 kg sea salt
- 1⁄2 head garlic
- 2 -3 bunches dill
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 2 cups water
- Wash and prick the cucumbers with a silver fork.
- put a layer into a plastic bowl, then sprinkle with salt until all are covered with salt.
- (leave for approx 4 hrs).
- Put vinegar and water together in a saucepan cook on low heat.
- Thin slice the garlic and add to the vinegar solution, add the dill (or dill seed if you cannot get fresh) 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take off heat.
- After 4 hours the cucumbers will be saturated with water (the salt dehydrates them ie removes the liquid from the cucumbers).
- Wash the cucumbers 3 times in fresh water, shake dry!
- add to the vinegar mixture.
- The dedhydrated cucumbers absorb this wonderful dill/garlic flavour and believe it or not are ready to eat the next day!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Just a quick mention: in the instructions after salting the cucumbers ...they would not be saturated with water surely.. you would expect them to be dehydrated because of the contact with the salt and the salt itself would become saturated with water.. right? At any rate... that's what happened when I tested it out !