Garam Masala Spice Blend
photo by Mrs Goodall
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon cardamom seed
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 dried hot red chili peppers, seeds discarded
- 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- Combine the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom seeds, peppercorns, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, cloves, and red chile peppers in a small skillet over medium-low heat.
- Toast until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Grind the toasted spices in a clean coffee grinder or spice mill to a fine powder.
- Spoon in the turmeric, and process to combine.
- Use immediately, or store in a sealed jar for up to 1 month.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I was in need of more Garam Masala than I had on hand so I made this blend. Much more flavourful than the commercial blend I have used in the past. It would have been a breeze to put together except that I only had cardamon pods so toasting and then spliiting them to remove the seeds took an extra few minutes. So worth it! Made for CQ4