Funtastic Seitan Fajitas
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 cups seitan, sliced into small strips (see notes)
- 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/2 moons
- 1⁄2 - 1 green pepper, julienned
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 2 tomatoes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tamari
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- Heat about 1/4 cup of water (or you can use oil) in a skillet and add the onion. Let it soften 3-5 minutes. If you want to use oil, you can then add the seitan and brown it, but it adds fat and doesn't change the taste.
- If using water, add the seitan and all remaining ingredients except the tamari. Reduce heat to simmer, cover the pan and let cook 5 minutes.
- There are two ways to warm the tortillas, which you'll find on the bag; you can wrap them in foil and put in a 300 oven for 5-10 min, or you can just pop them in the microwave wrapped in a tea towel. I use the nuke box.
- Tilt the skillet and add the tamari, where the juices pool at the bottom. Let the juices mix together, then mix all the juices up with the vegetables. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Place 1/6 of the mixture INCLUDING some juices! in each tortilla and roll up with your favorite fajita method!
- Enjoy with a side salad.
- Notes: Try with different colors of peppers, and I like adding steamed greens to mine. You can use homemade seitan, or prepackaged vegetarian mock-meat strips. If you have leftover filling, or want to take it to work/school, the best way is to bring the tortilla and filling separately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
A teenager who loves to cook- weird or what? But yes, it's one of my passions! To me cooking is like an art form- there's always something new and exciting to try, and there are constantly more ideas running around in my head than I know what to do with. Now, to update this page- a little task I haven't done in about two years!! Much remains the same as when I joined what seems like "forever ago": I'm a vegan with many passions: music, yoga, volunteer work, healthy/tasty food (the healthy vs. the tasty seem to run in cycles, haha) - and perhaps most of all, I love the written world. My dearest happy moments are when I am reading, writing, and feeling inspired. I'm in my first year studying at Mount Allison university for a B.A., major in English. However, since this is RecipeZaar, I must note that I'm equally obsessive about food!! Six years have passed since I was twelve and sort-of accidentally converted my family to veganism. Yes, even dad and little bro now greedily dig into their tofu shepherd pie and soy ice cream (well, clearly, one AFTER the other). I'm always on the lookout for foods that will please, and maybe even be healthy for, all of us! Now that I'm in uni and living with my aunt, uncle and cousin in New Brunswick, I still try to help with the cooking a bit. My sweetie cousin, Bilious Pigeon here on Zaar, is a terrific kitchen buddy. We share a penchant for fine coffee. Thankfully, my family here has turned mostly to the vegan side and that makes university life sooo much easier! My posted recipes, those I haven't invented, might come from Vegnews magazine, another website, one of our awesome vegan cookbooks, or friends- but it's virtually guaranteed that I've modified them at least in some way, and if from a book or show, I always acknowledge the original source. After all, I'd want someone to do the same for me. Since returning to the public education system after eight years of homeschooling, I don't have quite as much time in the kitchen as I used to. But I don't let that stifle my creativity! One of my favorite activities is in the summer when I get together with another cousin ~Harriet~, who's also here on Zaar, and we cook as much as we want. Good times! One more thing about me. I'm a Zaar game addict. And proud of it, and I'd advise anyone to join who would like more reviews on their own recipes, not to mention spending time with fun people and trying recipes they might not find otherwise. Please Zmail me with any questions or just to chat. Hope you enjoy, and are inspired by, my ideas! <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap4/group06grape.jpg> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/austmap_wattle_small-1.gif"> <img src="http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/flower753/Food/my3chefsnov2008.jpg"> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap3/group02banana.jpg> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PACfall08partic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/KiwiDutch/3chefstag1.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <a href="http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/?action=view¤t=chefkoalas.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/chefkoalas.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/calendar%20clips/Copyofsoybean.jpg" border="0" alt="tag"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/Correa.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/DSC_0020.jpg"> <img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/My-3-Chefs%20banners/my3chefs2008Small.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/tree20kangaroo2001-thumb-1.jpg"> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group01avocado.jpg>