Funchi (Corn-Meal Mush)
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Mix in a heavy saucepan the cold water, cornmeal and salt.
- Stir in the boiling water and the tablespoon of butter.
- Bring to a brisk boil over high heat and cook for three minutes.
- Continue cooking an additional three minutes, stirring the funchi vigorously with a wooden spoon or palu di funchi. When the mixture is very stiff and pulls away from the sides of the pan, remove from the fire. Turn out into a deep, well-buttered bowl and cover with a plate. Now shake the funchi down in the bowl, then invert it on a serving platter.
- For a special Sunday breakfast fry sliced funchi in butter and serve with crisp bacon and scrambled eggs.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!