Up until the 1930's the original recipe included many types of fish (being sold from the market). Since then, it has been reduced to only include clams, becoming known as "Manhattan Clam Chowder". The Fulton Fish Market was originally a wing of the Fulton Market, which sold a variety of foodstuffs and produce. Established in 1822, it was the destination of fishing boats from across the Atlantic Ocean. The wholesalers at the Market then sold it to restaurateurs and retailers who purchased fresh fish of every imaginable variety. It was possible for fish to be rushed from fishing ports in New England to wholesale buyers at the Fulton Fish Market, who might then resell it to retail markets and restaurants in the very same towns where the catch originated. By the 1950s, most of the Market's fish were trucked in rather than offloaded from the docks. The FFM survived major fires in 1835, 1845, 1918, and 1995. ---- In November 2005, the Fish Market relocated from its historic location near the Brooklyn Bridge along the East River waterfront at and above Fulton Street in Lower Manhattan, NYC to a new facility in Hunts Point NY. ----During much of its 183-year tenure at the original site, the FFM was the most important wholesale East Coast fish market in the USA. The move from the historic Manhattan site was due to a number of factors: cramped location, lack of modern amenities, such as climate control, increasing real estate value of Manhattan site for retail and residential use, and re-development pressure due to desirable proximity to the South Street Seaport and the Fulton/East River area.