Fruitcake (With Nuts)
- Ready In:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (slightly heaping)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 2 cups sugar (can use half white and light brown sugar)
- 1 cup butter, room temperature (no subs!)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon zest or 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Set oven to 325 degree.
- Butter and flour a 10-inch angel food or tube pan.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add in chopped dates, pecans, walnuts and both raisins; toss to coat with flour mixture.
- In another bowl beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Add in eggs and beat well until combined.
- Add in vanilla and lemon zest or lemon extract (if using); mix to combine.
- Add in the dry ingredients (flour, fruit and nut mixture) and fold in JUST until combined (the batter will be the texture of cookie dough).
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top with the back of the spoon.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 40 minutes, or until cake is golden and a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan on a rack for 10-15 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, cut around the edges of the cake to loosen.
- Turn the cake onto a rack and cool completely.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!