Fruit & Nut Chicken Salad
photo by loof751
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
10 1/2 cup servings
- 3⁄4 cup raisins or 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken or 3 cups cooked turkey
- 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced green onions (or both!) or 1/3 cup diced celery (or both!)
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Combine dried fruit and apple juice in a small saucepan or microwave-safe bowl. Bring to a simmer and stir. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Mix mayonnaise and mustard in a medium bowl. Add chicken (or turkey), green onions (or celery) and toasted almonds. Mix well. Stir cooled fruit into chicken mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill if desired, or serve immediately.
- Serve over salad greens as a main dish salad, or in pita pockets or on multi-grain bread as a sandwich filling.
- Cook time is recommended chill time!
- NOTE: 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts = 2 cups cooked, cubed chicken, or a 3 pound whole chicken yields about 4 1/2 cups cooked/diced.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Mmmmmmm! I had some leftover chicken and this was a perfect use for it. Used chopped frozen cranberries as they have less sugar than the dried ones. the apple juice was inspired and really elevated the recipe. I think that French Tart's idea of adding apple would be great too but I didn't add any this time. This is creamy, a little sweet, a little tangy and all together marvelous.
Very good chicken salad recipe! I think next time I make this, it needs some salt and pepper or something else because we thought it was a bit bland. I loved the twist of cooking the dried cranberries in the apple juice -- such a neat added taste-dimension to the recipe. I will definitely make this again, adding some seasonings. Thank you for posting!
A delightful salad KuW! I made it as posted with the exception of adding some chopped apple as well as cranberries, and they added a wonderful crunch to the salad. We ate this with fresh frisee leaves and baguette - it was VERY much enjoyed! Made as a Tag for guess the herb correctly! Chives for the herb of the Month in the French forum, May 2010! Merci darlink! FT:-)
What a lovely recipe! I'd never had this type of chicken salad before, but my half-English, half-Irish fiance tells me that -- apart from the cranberries -- this is a fairly traditional version. We used walnuts instead of almonds (preference), unsweetened cranberries, equal parts celery and green onion, and Smart Balance non-dairy spread instead of traditional mayo. I *loved* this, and he really liked it. He thought that the cranberries got "lost" amidst the other flavors, but I thought they came through nicely and gave the dish a wonderful, subtle touch. Thank you so much for posting this... I know I will make it again. :)