Fried Tomatillo Caprese Stacks
- Ready In:
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 large tomatillos, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices, ends removed
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup basil leaves, washed and stems removed
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic glaze (you can use store bought)
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, and cayenne together.
- Pour the buttermilk into a separate bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Dip the tomatoes in the buttermilk and then dredge them in the cornmeal mixture, coating both sides well.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat with the oil.
- When the oil is hot, pan-fry the tomatoes (in batches if necessary) until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Carefully remove the tomatoes and drain on paper towels.
Create the Salad Stacks:
- Cut mozzarella into slices (the same thickness as your tomatillos, about 1/2 an inch). Then, using a round biscuit cutter, trim the edges of the cheese to make perfect disks.
- Slice your cherry tomatoes into quarters.
- Start your salad stacks (you'll need 3 slices of fried tomatillos and 2 slices of cheese for each stack). Layer in the following order: tomatillos, mozzarella, basil, tomatillo, mozzarella, basil, tomatillo. Repeat until you've used all your tomatillos and cheese.
- Top each stack with cherry tomatoes, basil and balsamic glaze. Serve while warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!