Fried Mormon Funeral Potatoes
photo by Anonymous
- Ready In:
16 Potato Balls
- 8 ounces bacon, chopped, cooked and drained
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 -2 jalapeno chile, minced
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups defrosted frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 cup coarsely shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups finely ground corn flakes, divided
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- chopped parsley (optional)
- ranch dressing, for dipping
- Whirl bacon, cream cheese, onion, jalapeños, green onion, and sour cream in a food processor, about 1 minute. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir hash browns, cheddar, flour, cornstarch, salt, eggs, and 3 tablespoons ground cornflakes into bacon mixture. I added Flour and cornstarch accordingly to get the mixture to form into balls.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop up a scant 1/4 cup of potato mixture and roll into a ball. Drop ball into a bowl filled with 3/4 cup cornflakes and roll to coat (mixture will firm up once coated). Place on sheet and repeat with remaining mixture. Chill until ready to cook.
- Heat 2 inches oil in a medium pot until it registers 350° on a deep-fry thermometer. Fry potato balls, a few at a time, until golden, 5 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with ranch dressing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This doesn't work as written. After mixing everything to the exact measurements given, I got a slurry that was like cake batter. You can't "roll" cake batter. I'm going to try adding a BUNCH more shredded hash brown potatoes until it's a consistency that can actually be rolled. I'll come back and let you know how that turned out.