Fried Cabbage With Onion and Bacon
- Ready In:
- Cut bacon into 1" pieces. Place in large frying pan and cook until ready to turn. Add butter and onion and cook till medium brown.
- Add cut cabbage and add bay leaf if using. Add enough water to cover (1/4 cup at a time.).
- Cover and allow to steam, stirring often, and adding water as needed to help loosen the brown bits in the pan.
- Cook 15-20 minutes (it will cook down quite a bit in volume.) Taste to check for desired tenderness. When almost done, add vinegar, stir,and heat an additional.
- 5 minutes. Sprinkle with coarse black pepper just before serving if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I would like to welcome you to my recipes. I have been with Food.com since 10/05. My beloved husband, Tom, passed away 3 years ago. My world stopped. It's taken me all this time to find my way back to life without him. I have been so blessed to have found my second, once in a lifetime. I've met an amazing man who is so good to me. We moved from Las Vegas, Nevada to Bullhead City, Az. in February, and we love it here. I have worked at Bally's and Paris hotel.casinos, in Las Vegas. I have seen some very famous entertainers, including Liza Minnelli, Penn and Teller, Ray Liotta, Dr. J (Julius Erving), Frank Sinatra and his wife Barbara Marx. and many, many more. Cooking is my passion, and I am slowly, but surely beginning to venture into the world of baking. To me, cooking is so much easier because baking is so much more exact. I love to make Italian and Mexican food the best, followed by Chinese and last, but by far the least, good old American food! How can you beat chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy?? I love to find several recipes and put my own spin on them and create a new recipe.