Fried Bread With Honey and Lemon (Spain)
this sweet version of the French egg bread is served in Spain for breakfast.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 slices lemon rind
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 8 large bread, slices day old and without crusts
- 2 eggs
- vegetable oil, for frying
- sour cream, as needed
- clear honey, as needed
- lemon wedge, as needed
- Warm the milk, honey, lemon rind and cinamon in a saucepan until almost boiling. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 20 minutes.
- Cut the bread slices in half diagonally to form triangles and dip each piece into the infused milk. Transfer the slices to a wire rack set over a tray and leave them to dry out for 2 hours.
- Beat the eggs and heat a shallow layer of oil in a frying pan. Dip the bread triangles into the beaten eggs and fry for 10 minutes on each side, until golden. Serve with soured cream, a drizzle of honey and a squeeze of lemon juice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This tasted quite different than I expected. The bread (I used portuguese white bread) was crunchy on the outside and really mushy inside after frying. I couldn't quite decide if I liked it or not. I tried it with both honey and sour cream but still undecided. I think its my personal taste preferences so don't let my rating stop you from trying it. I tagged this for the Spain kid friendly challenge of the zaar world tour. It wasn't a good choice to make with kids because of the 2 hours needed between steps. Teaches me not to read the directions better. Made for Las Mistico Magicos Sirenas of ZWT 5Reply
Not something I'd want to try for breakfast, because of the time involved, but for a mid-morning brunch, it'd be just right, especially since I enjoy honey, lemon & cinnamon! Even more, I really liked the topping combo ~ the sourness of the cream, the sweetness of the honey & the tartness of the squeezed lemon wedge! Thanks for a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed while visiting Spain during ZWT5]Reply