Fried Apple Pies
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Better late than never!! LOL!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs apples, cored and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- to taste powdered sugar
- Preheat oil for frying.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter. Add the apples and saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, 1/4 cup sugar, and brown sugar. Continue sauteing for 1 minute, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the water and lemon juice. Bring the liquid up to a boil.
- Add corn starch dissolved in 1 Tablespoon of water.
- Whisk the vanilla and slurry into the liquid. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the apples are soft. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder, together.
- Gradually add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, working it to make a thick dough.
- Break the dough into 12 equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough pieces into thin rounds, about 5 inches in diameter.
- Put 1/4 cup of the mixture in the center of each round, fold over and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Fry the pies, two to three at a time, in the hot oil, until golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Powder the pies with the powdered sugar. May serve with vanilla ice cream.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Wonderful little pies.I did have some problems with the dough recipe as that it did not state when or if to cut the shortening in the flour mixture.Having made pastry dough before I assumed that that the step was just forgotten and I went ahead and cut the shortening in like normal.If it is a typo error I would suggest editing the recipe so other cooks will know what to do,and if it was not supposed to be added for whatever reason,I added it anyway.The apples took forever to cook down,but that was ok,gave me time to do something else.ALL in all,the pies were fabulous and I am giving 4 stars for the difficulty of the instructions.I will definately make these again.Reply
These are fantastic! I only used white sugar due to personal taste and I left the egg out of the crust and added an extra tablespoon of milk but other than that followed the recipe. The crust is flaky and light and the filling is delicious! Thanks for such a good recipe. I've made fried pies for years but was looking for a better crust recipe when I found this. I will definitely use it again and again. Thank you mstrcook for the winning recipe that will surely be a family favorite.Reply
see 2 more