Fresh Tomato and Rice Soup
photo by Sageca
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 8 cups chopped unpeeled tomatoes
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked short-grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped basil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan, sauté onion, celery and carrots in oil until softened but not browned.
- Add tomatoes and a small amount of chicken broth.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add remaining chicken broth, roasted red pepper, tomato paste and rice. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add fresh herbs and cook another 10 minutes.
- If desired, blend a few cups of soup and add back to the mixture for a thicker soup.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to cook, read recipe books and food magazines,spend time in kitchen stores, grocery stores, gourmet shops, learning new cooking techniques, trying new kitchen gadgets,tasting exotic foods,enjoying a wonderful meal. I've always had a herb garden; now I have containers on my patio with my must have herbs. It seems, everything tastes better with fresh herbs!