Fresh Shell Beans With Caramelized Onions and Sage
Another fabulous recipe from Wilson Farms in Lexington MA. If you're a fan of fresh food and ever in or near Lexington, you've got to go to this place! It's indescribably amazing.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 3 3 lbs cranberry beans or 3 lbs lima beans, pods discarded
- 2 yellow onions, large with ends removed and skinned
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 stalks celery, cut into quarters
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup sage, fresh and thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Slice the onions into thin slices.
- In large pot, heat the oil at medium-high heat. Add the onions; do not stir until onions start to brown.
- Lower heat and continue browning for about 20 minutes. You want the onions to brown evenly, but be careful they don't burn.
- Add carrots, celery, whole garlic cloves, and bay leaf. Cook for another five minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoons salt and pepper, beans, and enough water to cover everything by an inch. Bring to a simmer.
- Check beans after simmering 30 minutes; they should be almost soft.
- Cook another 10-20 minutes, or as needed. Remove from heat, drain, and reserve liquid. Remove carrots, celery, bay leaf, and garlic.
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add sliced garlic, anchovy paste, and roasted red peppers. Cook until garlic starts to brown.
- In a large bowl, combine garlic mixture, beans, sage, and one cup of reserved liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a first-rate crusty bread.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION