Fresh Fruit With Basil
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This a healthy, refreshing dessert. Wonderful on a hot summer day.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 4 cups mixed fruit (such as strawberries, sliced peaches, raspberries, sliced pears, blackberries, blueberries or sliced)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil
- 3 cups lemon sherbet
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, 1/2 cup water, honey and vanilla. Bring to a boil, stir to dissolve sugar; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cold water; add to saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbling. Cook and stir for 2 additional minutes. Cool Slightly.
- Add orange juice and liquid vanilla.
- Place fruit and basil in large bowl; pour syrup mixture over fruit, stirring gently. Cover and let stand about 1 hour or until cooled to room temperature or chill several hours, stirring once or twice.
- If using bananas, slice and add just before serving.
- Serve fruit over a 1/2 cup sherbet.
- Cooking time does not include chilling time.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Well, the 1st time around I usually follow recipes pretty much as written, but this time I detoured a bit ~ With all the sugar & honey I decided to double the amount of fruit, using sliced peaches & pears, as well as blueberries & strawberries, the latter one added just before serving! Also, I didn't add the vanilla in step 1 (as indicated) but added it in step 3 (indicated there as well)! GREAT COMBO OF FLAVORS & definitely a salad I'll be making again! [Made & reviewed as a tagged recipenap in the Aus/NZ Special Recipe Swap #19]Reply