French Toast Breakfast Sandwich With Canadian Maple Syrup
photo by Leslie
- Ready In:
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 3 teaspoons butter or 3 teaspoons margarine
- 4 slices bread (I like white for this sandwich)
- 4 slices deli ham, thin slices
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- grape jelly (optional)
- maple syrup (optional)
- In a nonstick skillet scramble 2 eggs in 1 tsp butter till done to your liking.
- Remove eggs and set aside and wipe out skillet.
- Assemble the sandwiches with one slice of swiss cheese, 2 slices of ham, 1 scrambled egg, top with another slice of cheese.
- Break remaining egg into a bowl with 1 tsp milk and mix well.
- Brush the sandwiches liberally with the egg wash with a pastry brush (but don't saturate the bread) and grill over medium/medium high heat in a nonstick skillet in 1 tsp of butter till golden brown. (grill the egg side down first and the melted cheese will help hold the sandwich together when it is time to flip it)Add another tsp butter and flip carefully to grill other side until golden.
- Serve with grape jelly or maple syrup on the side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These are really good and easy to make. I added instant vanilla to both the eggs and french toast mix to give it more of a sweet flavor. I also made actual french toast first by using my fave f.t. recipe and browning the inside of the bread first. Then I flipped, put the sandwich together, and browned the outside. So yummy! Next time I'll try bacon or sausage in place of the ham. Thanks for posting!
Delicious, plus fast and easy to prepare. We all loved them and wouldn't change a thing. Perfect with warm maple syrup to dip. My son who hates eggs was also happy with his sandwich containing ham and Swiss only. I need to remember this recipe for a quick dinner idea, too. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
see 25 more reviews
Another winner recipe by Pot Scrubber! Grilled cheese/French toast/egg sandwich all rolled into a perfect single recipe! I substituted a vegetarian Canadian bacon for the ham, and used egg beaters for two of the eggs, and dipped the bread in a real egg that I had in the fridge. I think this would have been great dipped in maple syrup, but I served it with a terrific strawberry recipe that ~Rita~ posted (#158894). Made a really fast vegetarian meal for dinner. Made for ZWT IV, Canada.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY