French Toast Angel Food Cake
It's exactly what it sounds like. Two of my favorite things combined to make an incredibly rich twist on breakfast. For those who aren't looking for a sugar rush I would suggest something a little less...sweet...to put it lightly. I found this in a Better Homes and Gardens and had to try it.
- Ready In:
- 1 angel food cake (7 to 8 inches)
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter
- whipped cream (optional) or creme fraiche (optional)
- maple syrup (optional)
- fresh strawberries, sliced (optional)
- Slice the angel food cake into 10 to 12, 1-inch thick wedges.
- In a shallow dish combine eggs, milk, sugar; and vanilla. Soak wedges in egg mixture for 1 minute per side.
- In a nontick skillet or on a nonstick griddle melt butter over medium heat. Cook 4 wedges at a time for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- To serve, stand slices in cake formation. Top with whipped cream or creme fraiche. Drizzle with maple syrup and top with strawberries. Or just serve them plain.
- Serve immediately.