French String Beans/ Green Beans, Tomato & Basil Salad
photo by Bergy
- Ready In:
- Place approximately 1/2 inch of water in a medium-sized stainless steel saucepan and add about 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the string beans.
- Cover and bring to a strong boil for 5 minutes.
- They just turn crunchy, cooked and a wonderful green (not brownish!).
- Using a skimmer, lift the beans from the pan and spread them on a large plate to cook off.
- Toss the beans with 2 tbsp white wine vinegar and oil.
- Season and set aside.
- Peel the tomatoes if desired but it is not necessary.
- Slice crosswise very thinly.
- Place the seasoned string beans in the center of a large platter and arrange the slices of tomatoes around.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Tomatoes need a lot of salt.
- Then sprinkle with vinegar and oil.
- Wash the fresh basil leaves and separate the leaves.
- Pile the largest leaves together.
- Roll the leaves into a tight bundle and slice them into very thin, long strips.
- Cut the onion into very thin slices and separate the slices into individual rings.
- With the beans at the center of the plate, sprinkle the onions on top, surround the green beans with tomato slices, and then arrange the sliced basil leaves around it forming a border.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delightful light tasty salad. I only sprinkled a few drops of olive oil over my finished salad Apprx 1 tsp.. I noted that in the ingredients it calls for red wine vinegar and in the instructions it says white wine vinegar. I used balsamic - just great. Thanks Polar bear this is a neat salad MMm that basil